Quote of the day: “Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle.”
Christmas feels different this year… everything feels different this year. I love this time of the year because I love the lights, the music, the warmth, SANTA, everything. I am doing everything in my best ability to make it feel like normal holidays. Here are some of my ideas to help get into the holiday spirit.
Watching Christmas movies is a GREAT way to feel like it’s Christmas. Honestly, Christmas movies might be my favorite genre of movie. My favorites include:
- The Holiday
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Eloise at Christmastime
- The Santa Clause Triology
- 12 Dates of Christmas
And then of course there are the cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies. I love those cheesy romantic movies, but they’re definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.
Despite the pandemic, there are so many different holiday activities that you can do to get in the Christmas spirit. I know everyone started extra early this year, which I think is fabulous. I always start at the end of October… or all year around.
- Christmas tree: Christmas tree farms have noticed an increase in sales this year because everyone wants to get out of their houses… and what better activity than to get a Christmas tree. I love real Christmas trees… they make the house spell so good!
- Drink hot chocolate and eggnog: Are you more of a hot cocoa person or an eggnog person? I personally love them both. I love Starbuck’s peppermint hot chocolate, but there’s nothing like drinking a big ‘ol glass of eggnog.
- Christmas shop: This year, Christmas shopping isn’t nearly as exciting as usual because of long lines outside of stores, wearing masks, and just having to be extra cautious. I still enjoy walking around the mall and seeing all the decorations. Online shopping has definitely taken over though.
- Wrap presents: I love wrapping presents. My dad and my sister always give me all their presents to wrap and I aint complaining. There’s something really calming and therapeutic about it… just like folding laundry.
- Christmas lights: Lights scream Christmas. Every single year, my friends and I go to this one street near our hometown and look at all the lights. This street goes all out. The houses are amazing and there’s always a ton of people walking around. It’s even fun to just go out on a drive a see the lights around the neighborhood.
- Bake: I feel like people bake a lot more during the holidays. There are so many delicious recipes out there. I love making peppermint cupcakes and gingerbread cookies.
- Decorate the house: Decorating is quite the event at my house. My mom and I pretty much spend 1.5 days decorating the inside of the house, but it’s worth it! It looks so magical inside and it’s so cozy. My favorite thing we put up is the tree and this little village.
I love love love Christmas music. I listen to Christmas music pretty much throughout the whole year, but I especially love it during the actual season. In the Bay Area, there’s a station dedicated to Christmas music. Check out 96.5. Some of my favorite Christmas songs include:
- Winter Wonderland/Be Happy by Pentatonix
- It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams (classic)
- Christmas Tree Farm by Taylor Swift
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing by Carrie Underwood
- Come on, Christmas! by Matthew West
Well this list should definitely get you into the Christmas spirit. Make the most of this year! It’s almost over. We got this!