Quote of the day: “Some days I wish I could go back in life. Not to change anything, but to feel a few things twice.”
About two weeks ago, I went back to Eugene, Oregon, home of the University of Oregon, aka my alma mater. Man did it make me feel extremely nostalgic. I swear every time I go back there, I get so emotional.
I can’t believe that freaking five years ago, I was moving out of my house for the first time and getting ready to start a new chapter. Seriously, how does time fly so quickly? How was that five years ago? How did I already go through all of college? How can I officially be someone who can say “well back when I was in college…” bahaha!
I thought I would share a list of things I miss from college:
- Walking to class: I lived in an apartment about a mile away from campus and would walk to school every single day… rain or shine. It was honestly one of my favorite parts of the day. I would just put my headphones in, listen to music, and freeze my butt off… and then start sweating half-way through the walk, despite the 40 degree weather.
- Campus: In my opinion, hands down, University of Oregon is the prettiest campus in the entire world. I’ve toured a lot of different campuses, from California to Boston, but I still truly believe that U of O is the best campus. Go check it out if you’ve never been.
- Fall in Oregon: Fall is my favorite season. I love when the leaves change and the air is really crisp… and pumpkin spice everything (basic). There’s this one street near campus that has trees lining it and in the Fall it is the most beautiful sight. Fall hits differently in Oregon compared to California for sure.
- The Rec: Ahh my favorite spot on campus. I miss the rec so freaking much. I loved going to the gym right after class and running on the treadmill, looking out at people playing on the turf fields. And yes, I did go to my next class all sweaty and gross.
- Living With My Boyfriend: Honestly, really fun. Nothing better than being able to see your best friend all the time without having to plan ahead or anything. Also, it was so fun going to Tacovore on Friday nights and to Yogurt Extreme and doing brain teaser trivia things that I am way too dumb for.
- Saturday Morning Grocery Shopping: I love getting after the day and being as productive as possible from the moment I get out of bed. Saturday mornings were one of my favorite times of the week. I would wake up early, put my dirty clothes in the laundry, and head straight to Trader Joe’s (Eugene has my favorite TJ’s… and Whole Foods surprisingly). It was always pretty quiet since I’d get there close to opening. It was just me and all the mom’s with their little kids. Ah something about it was so relaxing.
- Being Surrounded By Friends: Living with my roommates was a blast. Obviously there was some drama, but for the most part we all got along and had a lot of fun. Also, it’s so nice having friends in classes. I wasn’t always lucky with this, but when I was, it was great! It’s such a difference going from constantly surrounded by friends to barely having any friends at home. Sad.
- Eugene Food: Okay, I think a lot of people think that since Eugene is so small, it must not have very good food. That is 100% not true. Some of my favorite restaurants are in Eugene. Tacovore… wish it was in my hometown; I’d go every single day. Sabai Thai, Off the Waffle, Sweet Basil Express, McMenamins, The Vintage, El Super Burrito… honestly could go on forever. But yeah, Eugene food is pretty bomb. Don’t even get me started on the dorm food.
- Ultimate Frisbee: Ultimate frisbee was seriously the best. I am so glad I did it all four years. It was a great way for me to get my competitiveness out and it was really nice being on some sort of team again.
- Studying at 5:00 am: As mentioned above, I really like getting after the day. Going to Starbucks at 5:00 am with my roommate was the epitome of getting after it. We would be the only two people in the store and we would just crank out a bunch of homework or studying. I seriously am so much more productive at 5:00 am than like 8:00 pm. 8:00 pm is for Netflix or bedtime.
- Learning: OMG knowledge is power. I mean granted I used to complain about my classes on the daily, but I really miss stimulating my brain and learning things about Organic Chemistry and Biology. So fun. Kidding, but I really do miss learning.
Clearly I miss college a lot. I’m pretty much adjusted to post-college life, but man when I step on that campus, all the feels come. What do you miss about college?