I have been going to the gym consistently for about four years now. I started running with my mom my senior year of high school after tennis season ended and got into really good shape. Once I went to college, I knew I was on my own for working out and I needed to stay active if I wanted to remain the shape I was in. I started going to the gym at least 4 times a week and have continued that routine all throughout college.
Throughout my four years of going to the gym consistently, I curated a list of things that I cannot workout without. This ranges from music to apparel to accessories. Literally I have figured out every essential thing needed and don’t even have to think about whether or not I’m forgetting something because I know I’m not.
I thought today it would be fun to share with you all my gym essentials, so you too can go to the gym and smash out your workout in the most efficient way possible without forgetting something essential.
- Good Pair of Athletic Shoes: I wear Adidas Ultraboost almost every time I go to the gym. They are the best pair of running shoes I have ever owned. They feel super supportive and are really comfortable. I also wear my Nike Flyknits, but they’re not as comfortable. It’s important to have supportive shoes because it prevents injury.
- Water bottle: This item is a MUST. Most people don’t drink enough water throughout the day especially after they workout and sweat a lot. It is so important to hydrate all the time. I find I drink the most water when I workout… duh. I can’t even imagine working out without having water with me… I think I’d pass out.
- Socks: Everyone has those few pairs of socks that you gravitate towards constantly. I wear the same socks and refuse to buy new socks until my old pair has holes in them and I am forced to toss them…thanks mom. Honestly, I notice when I’m wearing different socks…it just doesn’t feel the same. Definitely find a pair of socks or two that you love and always wear them when you workout.
- RX Bars: A lot of people don’t like these bars, but I personally love them! The ingredients are so clean and transparent. They are very gooey, so I can see how the consistency can get to people, but they are tasty. The chocolate sea salt is my favorite flavor.
- Headbands: If you’re a girl, you know the difficulty of hair getting all over. A ponytail holds your hair back to a certain extent. I HAVE to wear a headband when I workout because if I don’t my hair goes crazy. I also sweat a lot more when I don’t wear a headband. There’s something about it that makes me feel more secure. The Nike thin headbands are my favorite…they never fall off my head.
- Leggings: Before, I used to not like wearing leggings to the gym. All my leggings would fall down when I would run and it was just a pain in the butt. I guess I just wasn’t wearing the right type of leggings. I feel like now I found the leggings I like to workout in. I like the Lululemon Align Leggings. You’re not supposed to wear them when you sweat a lot, but I don’t care and I don’t know why.
- Shorts: I honestly love working out in shorts. My legs feel really free and I don’t get too hot. I hate when shorts ride up in the front. It is not a good look and it’s super uncomfortable. I am obsessed with the Lululemon Tracker Shorts. They aren’t too short and they have a nice waistband.
- Wireless Headphones: How did I ever workout with normal headphones? Wireless headphones are the best things to ever exist! The wire doesn’t get in the way and the ear pieces actually stay in your ear all the time. I don’t even know how I worked out with normal headphones. I recently got the Bose Wireless Headphones. I really like them, but their battery life is relatively small.
- Yoga Mat: This isn’t a necessity for everyone, but I personally enjoy bringing a yoga mat to the gym with me. My gym in my apartment doesn’t have any mats to do abs or any stretching, so I bring my yoga mat. I don’t want to lie on the gross floor!
- Workout Tops: I wear the same five workout tops every single week. The Lululemon Swiftly Tech Short Sleeve tops are my absolute favorite! They absorb my sweat and don’t make me feel disgusting. When I wear a t-shirt to workout in, my armpits and my neckline area are gross. I love the material of the Swiftly Tech Tops. I highly recommend these!
- Gym Bag: You have to hold all these items in something obviously! It doesn’t really matter what bag you bring to the gym, I just think you should bring it all in something. It is way too much to hold and carry around the gym with you. I have a really cute Lululemon bag that my sister gave me. It’s the perfect size and fits all my essentials. Also, I SWEAR this isn’t sponsored by Lululemon even though I wish it was.
- Music: The biggest must ever! You NEED to have a good soundtrack to listen to. Music gets me so in the zone and specific songs hype me up so much! I really like listening to Gryffin and Fifth Harmony when I workout. Honestly, if I didn’t have music to listen to, my workout would be so unproductive. Here is one of the playlist I listen to CONSTANTLY. Shout out to my boyfriend for showing me all the songs on this playlist.
Hope this motivated you to get to the gym and curate your own collection of gym goodies! Let me know if I’m missing anything that you think I should add to my gym bag!
~TaylorTags: adidas, essentials, gym, lululemon, spotify, workout