I finally finished my third year of college and cannot believe that I only have one more year to go. One more year to figure out what to do with my life. One more year to truly find myself. I feel like this past year I learned a lot more about myself that I didn’t know. I also got to travel and explore more places that I would’ve imagined, and I gained new perspective on life. I wanted to share a few of the things I learned this past school year.
- Work, school, and personal life is really hard to balance. This was my first year of college that I had a job. I worked in one of the dining halls on campus. I didn’t work a lot of hours, but I did have a heavy load of schoolwork. Along with school and work, I wanted to travel and explore Oregon a little bit more, but rarely had the time to.
- I love trying new foods. I seriously tried so many new foods and became obsessed with new foods, especially pho! I LOVE PHO so much it is so delicious and I highly, highly recommend trying some.
- Cadaver labs are not as disturbing as I thought it would be. I took an Anatomy sequence this whole year and along with the lecture, we had lab. This lab consisted of learning structures on cadavers. When I first saw a cadaver, I was slightly freaked out, but I got so comfortable really quickly. Now it seems almost normal for me to look at dead bodies.
- Stretching does not have an affect on anaerobic exercise. This is more of a joke. In my exercise physiology class, we split into groups and each ran our own experiments. My groups experiment tested whether or not stretching helped or hindered anaerobic exercise. After running statistical tests, we found out it doesn’t…but our experiment was also a joke…so we still don’t know.
- Exercise makes me feel so much better. I knew this from before, but I still like to add it every year. When I don’t exercise for a day, I can’t sleep. I feel as though I have so much energy inside of me that I need to expend. Also I really enjoy being able to do push-ups and pull-ups. It makes me feel good about myself.
- Traveling keeps me sane. Eugene, Oregon is a very small town and honestly there is nothing to do there. If I stay in Eugene for the whole term, I start to go crazy. This past year I got to travel a lot. I went to Seattle a few times, Vancouver a few times, Bend, Oregon, Portland a lot, and home. These trips were definitely not cheap, but they were so worth it!
- Skiing is so fun! I am so behind on this one, but for real skiing is so fun. As mentioned above, I went to Bend, Oregon in January with a bunch of friends. We went skiing at Mount Bachelor. I had been skiing once before, but that was like 8 years ago. This was basically my first time and lets just say I took a lot of “L’s!” It was so fun though and I hope I can go more next year.
- It’s hard balancing boyfriends and friends. When I say boyfriends, I don’t mean I have more than one boyfriend; I mean that my friends also have boyfriends. My boyfriend right now is my first relationship so I think at first I wasn’t really sure how to balance him and friends. It took me until one of my friends asked where I was and said that I felt really distant. I took that to heart and really tried balancing the two more and think that I’ve done a much better job with that. Now lets just hope one of my friends can learn that too.
- I am a control freak. I’m not saying I’m bossy, but I do like things done my way and I do like being the boss… so maybe I am bossy? I just try to do the best I can and I usually think my way is the best. Also I think my way is the most beneficial. I will work on not being so much of a control freak.
- It’s okay that I don’t know exactly what I am doing after next year. I keep telling myself this and I think I am starting to believe it. I am focusing on making and saving my money so I have money to move after I finish undergrad. Also I am shadowing a registered dietitian and doing a sports nutrition internship, so I’m hoping this will lead me towards some sort of path and direction.
That’s all for now! Hope you enjoyed my college overview!